In the early morning “twilight” zone of awakening here, I felt the Holy Spirit gently downloading in me His heart on divorce. It was a alternative perspective that shook me. He often gets my attention in this way–and I know it’s Him because there’s an unexplainable sense of knowing. He “speaks” to me with a gentleness that just gets my attention and gives me clarity and peace.
Here I will do my best to accurately transcribe what He put on my heart:
I want for my people to divorce themselves from their rigid ideas of what they think “should be” and surrender to my perfect plan–my will as found by knowing me through My Word with the help of the Holy Spirit.
- “Set your mind on things above, not on earthly things.” (Colossians 3:2)
- “This is what we speak, not in words taught us by human wisdom but in words taught by the Spirit, explaining spiritual realities with Spirit-taught words.” (1 Corinthians 2: 13)
I want for my people to divorce themselves from ideas, habits, toxic people, fears, harmful behaviors and rigid beliefs of who I am because that’s not how I want my beloved children to live. If my children truly understood my heart, they would know I offer freedom, harmony, peace, joy, and abundance through my Son, Jesus, and I want nothing less for them.
- “The thief comes to rob, kill and destroy. I have come so that you may have life abundantly.” (John 10:10)
- “The fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, gentleness, kindness, goodness and self-control; against such things there is no law.” (Galatians 5:22)
- “There is no fear in love, perfect love drives out fear. Fear has to do with punishment. Those who fear do not know love.” (1 John 4: 18)
I want for my people to divorce themselves from dogmatic and legalistic doctrine and not be bound by the sin that I’ve already freed them from. A marriage that I didn’t unite does not glorify me. Nor does it set an example for the church. It’s a mockery and not what I intended. I want my people to trust me with their full hearts, minds, souls and strength and trust that I will supply a “suitable help meet” for every man.
- “Love the Lord your God with all your heart, mind, soul and strength. The second is this,’Love your neighbor as yourself.’ There is no greater commandment than these.” (Mark 12:30-31)
- “But for Adam no suitable helper was found. So the Lord God caused the man to fall into a deep sleep; and while he was sleeping, he took one of the man’s ribs and then closed up the place with flesh. Then the Lord God made a woman from the rib he had taken out of the man, and he brought her to the man.” (Genesis 2:20-22)
When my people choose to marry outside of my will, it breaks my heart. I don’t want my children to give in to the desires of their flesh and do life by their own design. A marriage that I’m no part of is void. It’s simply a human ‘contract.’
Yes, I hate divorce. But I also hate when people confuse and/or abuse the most beautiful gift I have created and then hold me accountable for their mistakes. I sent my Son to set you free. And when asked about divorce, He shared as recorded in Matthew 19:4-9:
“ ‘Haven’t you read,’ he replied, ‘that at the beginning the Creator ‘made them male and female,’ and said, ‘For this reason a man will leave his father and mother and be united to his wife, and the two will become one flesh’ ? So they are no longer two, but one flesh. Therefore what God has joined together, let no one separate.’ ”
(Would it be a fair claim to also state it this way: Therefore, what God has NOT joined together, let no one be BOUND?)
” ‘Why then,’ they asked, ‘did Moses command that a man give his wife a certificate of divorce and send her away?’
“Jesus replied, ‘Moses permitted you to divorce your wives because your hearts were hard. But it was not this way from the beginning. I tell you that anyone who divorces his wife, except for sexual immorality, and marries another woman commits adultery.’ ”
I designed all of the heavens and the earth and every creature in it with great intentionality and with a specific purpose. My design has perfect harmony. Marriage was and is my idea–my creation. Because of free will, they can choose … to trust me or to take matters into their own hands (which is the Spirit of Eve and the entire reason behind the fall of humanity which broke apart my initial plan of direct, unhindered relationship with my children). But this explains the hardening of hearts, the dysfunction, the divide …
- “All things permissible, not all things beneficial.” (1 Corinthians 6:12 & 1 Corinthians 10:23)
- “We can make our plans, but the Lord determines our steps.” (Proverbs 16:9)
- “The man who finds a wife finds a treasure, and he receives favor from the LORD.” (Proverbs 18:22)
I arose with a new perspective on God’s heart over ungodly unions and His desire to provide. It solidified my faith and instills in me hope. I hope this blesses you today as it has me!
What do you think is a good scriptural perspective on divorce?